Monday, March 4, 2013

Dragonfly visits Spider Lily


Dragonfly visits Spider Lily, originally uploaded by maxful.
A dear old Dutch Lady gave me this Spider Lily. It moved house over the past years to end up as part of a creekline in Cooroy, South East Queensland. I considered it a rarey. Now, Council landscapes in Brisbane suburbia are awash with never-ending streetcapes of the plant I was told came out of Africa. Wrong. Seems Hymenocallis is a genus of some 70 species with a broad range including (I Googled) 'the southern United States to the north, down through Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and into the very north of South America'. Or am I getting it wrong? Think I'll remember my Spider Lily this way – visited by a Dragonfly and happily ensconsced on a waterway out back of Noosa hinterland, Queensland.

No comments:

Post a Comment